Sunday, February 21, 2016

Filippino Food is Flippin' Fantastic!

On Friday, February 19, I enjoyed a delicious dinner at the Purple Patch in Washington, DC.  The owner was gracious and prepared a family-style dinner for my travel cohort that represents the cuisine of her mother, a native of the Philippines.  When it comes to trying new foods during travel, my best advice is to try everything; you may never get another chance.  Considering I am going to a country where fertilized duck egg (balut) is a common dish, it's brave of me to say try everything!
Grilled White Miso Chicken Wings 
Mama Alice's Lumpia - Fried Beef and Pork Spring Rolls with Banana Ketchup
Sizzling Sissig - Pork belly and shoulder sauteed with onion, vinegar, bird's eye chili, and lemon juice topped with an egg and served with jasmine rice
 Pancit Bihon - Thin rice noodles with carrots, celery, sugar snap peas, cabbage, long beans, and shiitake mushrooms
 Turon with Vanilla Ice Cream - Brown sugar soaked plantain wrapped in a lumpia wrapper
 Ube Ice Cream - Purple yam ice cream
 Biko - Sticky rice with coconut milk and brown sugar
P.S. I did promise my son I would try balut, if I had the opportunity! 


No comments:

Post a Comment