Monday, June 13, 2016

Mabuhay!

Thursday, June 9
Mabuhay is a very popular Filipino greeting that is used as “Welcome,” but it translates to “Long Live.”  The Filipino people do not take that term lightly as I have never felt so welcomed in a new place.  It seems that no matter where I go, the people are genuinely excited to see me and are happy that I came to visit.  These statements are usually followed by “Now, when you come back, you have to bring your family!”  It’s like they are psychic or something; I can’t wait to bring my kids back! J

Today started off with a trip to Pitogo National High School in Makati, which is in Manila.  The school is beautiful; four-stories tall u-shaped building that surrounds a courtyard parking lot.  We were immediately ushered in to the assembly hall for a welcome program.  The school’s chorus and Folkloric Dance Troupe gave phenomenal performance of traditional Filipino songs and dances.  Of course, I had yet another opportunity to try tinikling (the pole dance), which made it even more fun.  I have to say I am getting much better than my first video as I have figured out the rhythm.  After the performances, we took a tour of the school guided by students, teachers, and PTA members.  It is amazing to see the number of desks that they can fit into these rooms that are smaller than my classroom!  The number of students per class can vary wildly 45-120 depending on the school.  I have a feeling that once I see a class full of students here, I will never complain about having more than 28 students again! The PTA at Pitogo provided us with a “snack” (AKA lunch) and t-shirts. 

After our visit to Pitogo, we went to a buffet lunch, because that’s what we do in the Philippines-eat a meal, then go to a buffet! J  The restaurant was in this super high-end area, Bonafacio Global City.  Let’s be real-this area was so high-end it we passed by Lamborghini Manila on the way to the mall.  I didn’t even know that there were dealerships that only sold Lamborghinis!  In an attempt to avoid eating at the buffet, I was wandering around the restaurant and I saw a room with a bird’s eye view of Manila that couldn’t resist.  An owner of the restaurant allowed me to sneak in for some pictures and we had a great conversation about the uneven development of both Manila and the Philippines.  He told me that in the squatter area I was looking at homes could be bought for $80,000 php and, just on the other side of the restaurant, a condo was selling for $100,000,000 php.   

After lunch we went to East Rembo Elementary School.  It is ranked the number one elementary school in Manila and one of the best in the country.  The design and layout was the same as the high school.  It was brigada eskwela week, so it was a very busy place with lots of painting, repairs, and organizing happening.  Brigada eskwela is a national program where all stakeholders (teachers, students, parents, etc.) of a school spend a week getting the school prepared for the new year.  It creates a sense of ownership and community amongst the school, which is something many schools can use!  After a brief welcoming ceremony with a questionable music choice by the dance group, the principal presented a report on the school’s statistics and achievements, then we went on a tour of the school.  We also had a panel discussion with a group of teachers from our sister program, International Leaders in Education Program (ILEP).  The reoccurring theme in many of our discussions is that teachers face many of the same challenges regardless of their geographic location.  We had a great discussion and a great dinner afterwards at ERES.  I even went back for seconds, much to the delight of Alix, our in-country host!


Tomorrow marks the next step in this adventure…I am headed to Boot National High School in Tanauan City, Batangas!

2 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds awesome! It's so neat to hear about the differences and similarities between the cultures. I love all the pictures and I am amazed at your pole dancing skills.

    ReplyDelete