Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Thinking About My Time At Boot National High School

Tuesday, June 21

Well, today was our first full day back in Manila and we spent most of the day in meetings trying to process our experiences in our host communities and consider lessons to take back to our classrooms. This was such a hard process because I felt like I needed more time to figure out exactly what I had been through in Boot.  I had so many first experiences on this trip that I am still processing everything even though I have been home for almost 2 full weeks now.

We did an exercise in which we listed "leftover/unresolved emotions" from our field experience and I didn't realize how powerful the activity would be until I finished.  The first emotion I listed was speechless because the generosity I was shown in Boot continues to leave me speechless.  The community was so willing to give of their time, energy, and financial resources to provide us with the best experience possible and I will be forever grateful.  The second emotion was a combination of hope and concern.  I met many super talented kids that have big dreams for their future which filled me with hope.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about their ability to achieve their dreams given the financial barriers that lie ahead for many of them.  They definitely have the will to succeed and I hope they have the perserverance that will be necessary as well.  My third emotion was sadness because of the sudden loss of a TGC fellow's daughter.  While I had an amazing experience in the Philippines, this loss is something that will be forever attached.  My fourth emotion was love because I felt like I made real connections with the people in my host community.  My interactions never felt superficial or forced; they were always meaningful.  My fifth emotion was pride because I did it; I travelled to the other side of the world kinda by myself and had an phenomenal experience!  The final emotion I wrote down, which wasn't really an emotion, is changed.  This experience has changed me and given me a more worldly perspective that I needed both as a teacher and a person.  Dang! I am an emotional person. :)

Wendi Pillars, one of my fellow travelers, processes things a bit more artistically than most and below are her sketches about our time in Boot.

She is the author of "Visual Note Taking for Educators," so teacher friends, check out her book if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment